Tuesday 6 December 2011

Eguavoen apologises, resigns as Olympics Eagles coach

By: Online Publisher's


NATIONAL Under-23 Coach, Austin Eguavoen, has quit as coach of the Olympic team after he failed to qualify the team for London 2012.

Austin-Eguavoen-1

 advertisement

Nigeria's Olympics Eagles failed to go past the group stage of the qualifiers in Morocco after losing two games and winning one.
His letter of resignation was forwarded to the Chairman, Technical Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Chris Green.
"I hereby resign my post as coach of the national U23 team despite all the support I received from the NFF. I'm so sorry I couldn't make it," Eguavoen wrote in part.
Eguavoen has been involved in the national team set up since 2003, when he first handled the U17s and has been in charge of the full international side as well.
He has taken full responsibility for his team's failure to reach London 2012 after raising so much expectations in the earlier rounds of the qualifiers where Nigeria thumped Liberia, Equatorial Guinea and Tanzania.
"First of all football has given me what I have today. I thank every Nigerian for being there for me and giving me all the support needed for this tournament,"  said the 46-year-old coach.
"We came into this tournament prepared. Losing Kingsley Udoh in the first game, just three minutes was a big blow.
"Our first half against Senegal was awful but we were in our best against a very technical Algeria but unfortunately we rose up to the occasion late.
"I apologise to Nigerians for our disappointing outing. I had an option to come and not to but I had confidence in this team, unfortunately it didn't turn out the way we wanted. I am deeply sorry".
Eguavoen said he hopes to take a two-month break and possibly return to work in the Nigeria Premier League.
"My contract is tied to this tournament with a target of reaching at least the semi-finals of the Olympics in London, but I have failed in that target. Right now I would just take two months out and maybe return to the local league," he said.
The Former Super Eagles coach also spoke on the positives from the tournament.
"First we were able to redeem our image hoping that Morocco will keep their winning streak. But the biggest positive for me is that my 'Skippo' ( the Super coach Stephen Keshi) was here. As we all know, we are rebuilding and I believe he must have spotted players here that would help him in the national team."

No comments:

Post a Comment